Monday, January 25, 2010

Monday, windy Monday

In my typical fashion, I so do not do Mondays... and today is no exception to the rule! The wind knocked out the power, there goes back up alarms #1 and #2 so I was a little late getting up. This in and of itself is no great catastrophe, cut a few corners, sweats instead of jeans and no Facebook... you get the drift. The trouble begins when trying to hurry the morning routine of Mini-me... AKA my four year old son, who likewise doesn't do Mondays... or more succinctly, mornings. Somehow, with an innate ability I as yet do not understand he knows, without opening his eyes, that it is one of "Those" mornings. I don't know why, I don't know how, but in my usual wake-him-up routine, I rubbed his back and arms while sing-songing some made up concoction of nonsense as I usually do, he just KNEW that today would be a perfect day to absolutely not cooperate. And he did so brilliantly, I might add. So among the melt down causing problems was, not enough green cereals in the Apple Jacks and the fact that he wanted the banana in the peel. Adding green pieces to the bowl... no problem (I learned to pick my battles, and this was not the time), but wasn't going to even attempt to put a banana back in the peel, for one, its not really about the banana, this I recognize, and for two, it was so windy my puppy refused to poop outside and did so in the dining room as soon as I turned my back, and that was now resting right on top of the banana peel in the trash. Then it was his shirt, which he put on backwards and refused to turn around... hmmmm... ok... pick my battles. Then it was the shoes, he wanted the grey ones, but could only find one. I insisted on two, this battle I won (two shoes is a must!) so he begrudgingly put on the brown shoes, mumbling under his breath, probably something about my imminent removal as his official best friend. And all of this before a proper cup of coffee... doesn't this child know I'm not wrapped too tight on a good day, never mind when I am decaffeinated? So out the door we go, eventually, only to chase trash cans and lids through the alley and fetch recyclables out of the bushes. Those stowed, its off to the daycare. Mini-me safely squared away I make my way, late at this point, to school. I did, however, stop at Maple Donuts for a coffee. "What the hell" I figured I was late anyways, plus I did not want to further endanger the well being of others, it was the best choice, truly.

1 comment:

  1. Mondays are always tough...it seems like the weekend always goes two days too fast! Thats why one of my favorite sayings is from the movie Office Space--have you ever watched it?

    "Sounds like somebody has a case of the Mondays"

    Cheers!

    ~J

    ReplyDelete